Thursday, September 29, 2005

One really fun thing to notice is that this whole idea of learning becoming a part of the whole day instead of isolated to specific lesson times is seeing that Bri has begun to think that way naturally too. I mean, it's one thing for me--in all my intentionality--to walk into the kitchen while she's spooning peach slices from the big bowl into her individual dish and get her to tell me a subtraction sentence as she moves each one. But what's really cool is when this happens: We're driving along and snacking on the way and she asks me for some chips. I hand her some absentmindedly. A minute later, she says, "So, Mom, you handed me four chips and now I've eaten two. If I use a fraction to talk about that, that means I've eaten two-fourths of my chips. Or I could say I've eaten one half of my chips because two-fourths is the same as one-half." That's cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home