Monday, May 16, 2005

I've been reading a book by one of my favorite mystery writers, Stephen White. Either he has become even cleverer since I last read his stuff or it has just been too long for me to remember all the smiles. Two of my favorite lines: "I don't consider it trivia. I like to think of it as information of infrequent utility." And from a psychologist recalling advice given to him early in his career by his supervisor: "He told me that there are some people who are better at being crazy than I will ever be at being therapeutic." This last is somehow a hopeful reminder to me: There are some people who are better at not learning than I will ever be at teaching. There are some people who are better at seeing the negative than I will ever be at encouraging. There are some people that are better at messing up my house than I will ever be at cleaning it. And of course, the reminder that I am someone else's "some people."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home