Friday, December 05, 2003

Brianna's question of the week: "Will there be movies in heaven? 'Cause I really like movies and you really like movies and I think a lot of people really like movies." I replied that I honestly don't know. She said, "Well, I guess we need to study some really important smart books like the Bible to find out." (Ah, the chronic problem for many people: all those things the Bible doesn't tell you that you think you really need to know.) Then she said, "'Cause you know the Bible is a special treasure book. The stories in it are true. They really happened. Like the story about Jesus being born. That really happened." She has said all this with an earnestness like she is trying to convince me, or perhaps preach a sermon. Then, she suddenly comes to the point where her confident certainty ends. "But Mom, Jesus was born a long time agao, so are all those people still real?" So I explained that Mary and Joseph and other people that lived when Jesus was born were not alive on earth anymore. I said, "Remember Uncle Harvey? He isn't alive on earth anymore. Now he is in heaven. Is he still real?" "Of course he is! And I know that he is in heaven but he is also still alive in our hearts." A few minutes thought, and then she said, "I hope Harvey is having a good time in heaven." I assured her that that was a pretty safe bet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home