Friday, August 15, 2003

Today is my last day one-on-one with Redouane. He is working on a paragraph about Aid El Kabir, the sheep-killing holiday. It has been very interesting. When he was trying to explain the religious aspects of it to me the other day, he said, "Oh--I don't know what you call this kind of man in English. Have this in Christian too. You know, in Christian,"--and he stretched his arms out wide and dropped his head to the side. I said, do you mean Jesus? He said, "Yes! Yes! Jesus--so what do you call people like this in Christian." I said , "Well, Christians don't actually believe there are other people LIKE Jesus. Christians believe Jesus is God." Well, that just totally stunned him: "WHAT? Jesus is God? Oh, my God! What--Really? This is true?" I guess I was not terribly culturally sensitive--I didn't even imagine bringing on such shock. Eventually, I brought him out of the shock by saying, "Redouane, you were going to tell me why you cut the sheep's neck." He got as far as the story of Abraham and Isaac, although he didn't know their names in any language, but when I asked if there was some particular meaning or lesson that made the story something important for people to remember through this holiday, he kind of grinned and threw up his arms and said, "I don't read the Koran all the time! Only old people do that. Everybody else in Morocco--we just getup, do the praying, work, play, eat, go to bed, and start again. That is it. We do not think so much about the Koran." I think he is going to try to find out more about the significance now. He is very impressed that Paul was in Morocco for Aid El Kabir and made a slide show about it. (Unfortunately, we have no idea where the slides are--maybe in Bebe's garage?) Well, I am not sure that I have helped him that much with his English during tis summer cram session, but we have both learned a lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home