Thursday, April 01, 2004

Today to supplement a taped lecture used for listening practice, I have been telling my students about some of the culturally insensitive mistakes I made while teaching English to the managers at the Bank of Taiwan. Now I am homesick for that lovely and astonishingly expensive table on the 78th floor of the World Trade Center where I had the best view of the Statue of Liberty. I know, many people have much deeper feelings than homesickness when they think of the World Trade Center. But I am even more homesick for my own little English school in the ballet studio. I am remembering my students worrying, "Julie, we have taught you how to say "noun" and "verb" and "adjective" in all our languages to help you teach us, but if you go to Russia or Korea or China or Taiwan, you will only be able to walk around saying, "Noun, verb, adjective." You don't even know how to ask where the bathroom is!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home